In the 7th century, Saint-Germer a former advisor of King Dagobert founded the first Benedictine abbey of Fly in 661 with the help the Archbishop of Rouen, after Saint-Germer became a monk at his wife's death. Viking raids on nothern France destroyed the abbey church which was rebuilt under the reign of Charlemagne. It will then be transfered to the Bishop of Beauvais in the 9th century. Saint-Germer-de-Fly's abbey church is especially well known for its Sainte Chapelle built in the 13th century based on the model of the one in Paris. However, the Hundred Years War once again brought, a lot of destruction, especially on the frontage. A few centuries later, the Maurists (reformed Benedictine monks) settled in Saint-Germer-de-Fly and fully restored the abbey. The full restoration took place from 1644 to the 18th century. Nowadays the abbey was closed to the public for nearly 10 years and is gradually reopening. Free tours and guided group visits are welcom.
Contact par mail